One to Two Years
1-2 years (Expected Developmental Milestones)
What can you do at home?
1. Talk to your child as you do things and go places.
For example, when taking a walk, point to and name what you see.
Say things like, “I see a dog. The dog says ‘woof.’ This is a big dog. This dog is brown.”
2. Talk about sounds around your house.
Listen to the clock tick, and say “t-t-t.” Make car or plane sounds, like “v-v-v-v.”
3. Play with sounds at bath time. You are eye-level with your child.
Blow bubbles, and make the sound “b-b-b-b.” Pop bubbles, and make a “p-p-p-p” sound.
4. Add to words your child says.
For example, if she says “car,” you can say, “You're right! That is a big red car.”
5. Have your child point to pictures that you name.
6. Ask your child to name pictures.